[Healeys] Overdrive pressure drop

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Fri Jul 30 11:04:49 MDT 2021

Simon-yes, there are two balls which control the pressure in the unit.
In the operating valve which is engaged by the action of the solenoid,
dirt is a possible issue. There is a very tiny hole drilling in the
stem of the valve which allows the oil to circulate. That opening can
plug with debris and stop the flow. Oil from the accumulator goes thru
this valve and lifts the ball allowing the operating cylinders to move
forward on the clutch producing the overdrive. When the ball is seated
(solenoid off) oil does not pass and is dumped into the OD sump.
You can see that this tiny drilling is very important and must be kept
clear. Often rebuilders suggest to enlarge the hole to 1MM. It may
change the dwell time of the OD action, but its has a better chance of
staying clean...a theory not proven.
The other ball is on the oil pump and that is the one that Del
suggested needed a new spring or extended plunger to enhance
pressure-another theory.
As you measured no pressure when out of OD, that is due to the ball
properly seating on the valve and reliving the pressure that operates
the two pistons. If you move the lever or engage the solenoid you
should get 470 lbs. again.
I would suggest cleaning the valve-use a magnet to get the parts out
and don't use a shop rage to clean them (no lint). If all is ok in the
valve body you need to look further into the accumulator and o-rings
and piston rings. I suggest you contact David at OD Spares for some
additional advise. Hank

Healeys"