[Healeys] o/d not engaging

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Sun Jul 11 11:21:59 MDT 2021

First thing I would do is swap out the "new" solenoid for another, to
see if the unit works properly. It sounds like this one is wimpy.
When you say gasket replacement, I'm assuming that you mean the gasket
between the side cover and the body. The solenoid has no gasket and
adding one would create a problem. The side cover gasket is not very
thick, so use sealant to prevent any leaks. (also replace o-ring).
Other than that, there is no reason that the gasket replacement would
affect the operation, providing the accumulator parts are assembled
correctly, and are in good working order.
Four hundred pounds of pressure is needed to overcome the 8 springs
which keep the unit in direct drive. Any less will not shift properly.
Now carefully read and adjust the solenoid position as described in
the manual. When adjusted, the lever only moves about 1/16" to engage
OD. Regards, Hank