[Healeys] Backfire in rebuilt engine with less than 500 miles

Kees Oudesluijs coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Jan 25 09:20:24 MST 2021

Some parts like i.e. the distributor or carbs are taken of the engine
when it is rebuild and then after having lain on the shelf for months or
even years are put back on the engine the way they came off, without
resetting or cleaning.

In the distributor are the bob weights inside the body that regulate the
mechanical advance. These need regular maintenance (mostly forgotten) to
prevent them from corrosion and sticking. It is not seldom that these
get stuck or do not move freely which might be a cause for backfiring.
Also check the plugs and wires.

If the car is still on points check the dwell angle and points
condition. Also check the timing.

Kees Oudesluijs