[Healeys] Backfire in rebuilt engine with less than 500 miles

rfbegani at gmail.com rfbegani at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 07:57:54 MST 2021

Listeners:

I have been driving my 67 BJ8 since rebuilding and working on the rest of
the car the past year.  After installing the new shock absorbers and the new
speedo, I took the car for a ride.  With the new shocks and the new Shaved
tires, she drives like brand new car down the Tamiami Trail at 50-70 mph, so
I decided to push it a little more.  However at 4000 plus rpms and about 90
mph, I was not looking so closely at the speedo or tack, the engine back
fired, so I let off the gas and returned to normal highway speeds.  Engine
ran fine all the way home. Suggestions what could cause the backfire at high
speeds?

Bob Begani