[Healeys] Trickle chargers

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Thu Jan 14 16:12:19 MST 2021

I use Battery Minder maintainers.  The one I use on the Healeys tells you the state of charge when you hook it up and goes into charge mode.  It automatically will convert to float charge when the battery is near full.  Of course it also has a desulfation
mode built in also.  Works great and you can leave it connected for long periods with no adverse effects other than a fully charged battery.  I use lead acid batteries because I can get reconditioned ones from the Interstate store for around $45.  They seem to last as long as a new one and the store is only 5 min away.  The other charger I use is also from the same manufacturer, but it is the newer solid state "light" model.  It is also smaller with less features, but it also sulfates and changes modes automatically as required to charge batteries.  I use the small one primarily on my Harley.  See below.

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:35 PM, Bruce Steele<healeybruce at roadrunner.com> wrote:   I use Battery Tenders on my truck and Healey and are very happy with them.  Battery Tenders monitor and float the charge so prevent overcharging.  They come with either a plug or large alligator clip connection.  I've run a pigtail into the boot of the Healey (I've a BN7 so the battery is not in the boot), and I've a pigtail out the grill and under the rear bumper of my truck to make plugging them in convenient.  Very happy with them.

Bruce Steele
Brea, CA
1960 BN7