[Healeys] Asbestos lookalike insulation sheet

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 10:11:06 MST 2021

My BJ8 has its original, unmolested (AFAIK) driver-side (LHD) heat
shield; I try not to disturb it. I don't think it necessarily traps
water, as there's plenty of heat and air above it (it should have
spacers, IIRC). I think most cockpit heat comes out the gearbox cover;
try driving with a torn or missing shift lever boot sometime (I started
carrying a spare after having to drive a couple thousand miles with a
torn one).

I was lucky; both my Healeys have solid floor pans--the BN2 showed
superficial 'pockmarking'--but the photos I've seen of rusty floorboards
show both sides rust about the same. The worst rust comes from getting
drenched with the hood down and not thoroughly drying the carpets
afterward (the fibrous insulation--forget what it's called--might as
well be sponge).

Bob