[Healeys] BN2 Caster Angle

bluehealey at gmail.com bluehealey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 08:39:27 MST 2021

Hi Fred.

You are not the first person that I have encountered with this confusion. It is usually held by those that are very familiar with pre-war cars and beam axles. In those cars the steering/stub axle is captured between fixed top & bottom ‘ears’ on the end of the beam.  The weight of the car bears down through the top ear onto the swivel axle. All fairly obvious.

In the case of our cars, with top and bottom wishbones, the weight of the car is carried on the spring and bottom wishbone. The wheel and stub axle is bearing upwards, LIFTING the car through the top trunnion using the kingpin as a pull-rod to the bottom wishbone and spring.

The whole front end is sat on those two Oilite bronze thrust washers. Any reduction in friction here pays dividends – especially in a 6-cylinder car with even more weight over the wheels.

Maybe others can come up with a clearer explanation.

Cheers.

AlanB