[Healeys] Seat Runners

Harold Manifold manifold at telus.net
Sat Jan 2 14:29:57 MST 2021

Simon,

I have spent far too much time taking the seat runners apart repairing the
threads. The original is 1/4" x 28 and any replacement fasteners needs to be
ground down so the head doesn't interfere with slide mechanism. In my
opinion it is critical to use the Tee Nuts and the 14ga stiffener. These
help strengthen the floor boards and secure the seat. Healeys don't have
much crash protection as it is but it will enhance safety if the seat
doesn't come loose in an accident.

Your seat runners may have been altered to a point where they can't be
restored. My solution was to cut off the threaded portion from the bottom
and then drill and tap the remaining flat head welded to the track to 1/4" x
28. I ground down a 1/4" grade 5 bolt and threaded through the tapped hole
and put epoxy under the head. If I had to do this again I would buy new
tracks from AH Spares. Their quality is excellent and they cost about $65.
AH Spares has the Tee Nuts as well.

The seat track assembly is confusing but here is the original sequence from
the bottom up:

Tee Nut
Spring Washer
Flat Washer