[Healeys] 100/4 / A90 old style valve seals

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 12:27:00 MST 2021

In the string about rubber valve seal shrouds Bob Spidell said:  "By no
means let crumbling rubber parts see the inside of an engine."

About a year back I dropped the oil pan on my 100 to replace the oil pump
and found numerous chunks of what seemed like very hard black plastic
distributed throughout the sump.  This was a head scratcher as I knew there
could be no plastic in the engine's interior yet there it was.  After
thinking about it further I decided that it could only have been the
remains of the rubber timing chain tensioner and sure enough when I pulled
the front cover I saw that the tensioner was non-existent and the chain
pretty loose.  I replaced the chain and tensioner--not an easy job--and
magically a chattering sound that had been appearing at certain
rpm's disappeared, no doubt a harmonic rattling of the loose timing chain.

Best--Michael Oritt