[Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 14, Issue 142

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Sun Apr 18 16:54:56 MDT 2021

I don't know about the six cylinder engines, but during the rebuild of my BN2 engine I used 3 ring pistons from Moss.  Not exactly the most exclusive examples of piston technology, but the very experienced engine builder that built my shot block for me said they will do just fine.  Heck I don't even remember seeing an oil scraper ring on them.  Not an expert, but could the way the bottom ring was ground to shape have an oil scraping purpose?Mike MacLean Out of my five vehicles, only one has a catalytic converter.  Take that Greta Thunberg.

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 4:37 PM, William Atterbury via Healeys<healeys at autox.team.net> wrote:    Hey Ian,The rumor I heard was that the 5th ring was for hone-and-replace rebuilds to reduce oil consumption.  I'll let others comment if these cars were fitted with 4 or 5 rings from the factory (I'm guessing 4).  I rebuilt mine with 4, like the others.  Not a problem for our coddled Healeys.  Heck, I even know of one fellow who only put in three for a hot motor.
Bill AtterburyBT7

Message: 1