[Healeys] To fit or not to fit 5 ring pistons

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Fri Apr 16 13:37:22 MDT 2021

Here is a note found on the web. Kinda explains the reasoning.
However, I would talk to your machine shop and see what they recommend
as technology has changed in 59-60 years. Today everything is about
less drag. I have seen some folks leave off the bottom ring...I'm a
purist, so I use original parts as they were manufactured. Hank

	* The oil control ring at the bottom actually consists of two rings
and a spacer. The main trade off is, the 4-ring piston will have less
drag on the cylinder walls, but the 5-ring piston will seal better. A
better sealing piston will keep more power in the cylinder, but you'll
see additional frictional losses.

Healeys"