[Healeys] Oil Leak, rear seal etc.

rfbegani at gmail.com rfbegani at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 13:11:59 MDT 2021

Thanks for all your comments.  In addition, I searched Oil Leaks in the
archives and copied 3 pages of comments going back to 2000 approximately.
It is interesting.

Many indicated no longer any oil leaks after installing new rear seal.  Some
indicated they still had some leakage.  Some indicated oil leakage stopped
after installing Positive Crankcase Ventilation.  So, I installed a PCV
system by attaching a hose to the 1/4-inch opening next to the current
3/8-inch opening used by the brake booster. I had to use ¼-inch fuel rubber
tubing attached to the pcv valve at the T on top of the valve cover.  As my
aluminum valve cover had a side vent, I sealed it off with a piece of
rubber.  Then I went for a 24-mile ride in traffic and on the highways not
exceeding 60 mph just incase and came home. I let the engine run at idle
with the fan and electric water pump running for a while and put a sheet of
cardboard under the weep hole.  While I was doing that there were no oil
drops.  In addition, I walked my driveway and found no drips. Nevertheless,
I placed a can underneath the weep hole overnight.  In the morning, I found
one drop in the can which could be left over from the previous heavy
dripping.  I have done this test three times no dripping and no measure loss
of oil on the dip stick.

As soon as I am comfortable with the results, I will take a highway run at
65 -75 plus.   Meanwhile, may solve the problem of rear seal oil leakage
and, no doubt anywhere else on the engine.  Eventually, I will have to pull
the trans, clutch etc. to clean the clutch or replace the clutch friction
disk as it is slipping due to oil.  At that time will look at the new added
on seal.

Current question is who has no leaks after rebuild with or without PVC
system?

Bob Begani