[Healeys] Tach rebuild

Aol Mail chucknsueo at aol.com
Tue Nov 24 14:29:56 MST 2020

John,

Last month I had my tach rebuilt by West Valley Instruments in Reseda California. I had it done so that it would work with electronic ignition or points. It’s more expensive to rebuild for electronic ignition, IIRC $315 including return shipping. I think it is $285 to have it rebuilt for points. It becomes electronic pick up instead of induction pick up, i.e. the loop in the back of the tach is replaced by a single wire sticking out. You have to connect that single wire to the distributor side of the coil. I used the white w/ black tracer wire for the trunk battery master switch that grounds the points. I had to cut it off from the wire that it is paired with and add a spade connector to attach it to the other coil terminal. This wire has a junction right in front of the driver side of the firewall. I replaced the single Lucas connector with a double and tied the white wire from the tach into that wire and ran it through an existing grommet hole in the firewall. This connects the distributor side of the coil and the tach without adding a non-original looking wire to your harness. It grounds the tach when the battery switch is off, which of course is not a problem. My only complaint is that the tachometer needle seems to have a lot of dampening, but that shouldn’t really be an issue.

Chuck Ott67 BJ8, 69 AN9