[Healeys] SU Fuel pump points

Kees Oudesluijs coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon May 25 14:22:49 MDT 2020

Points in an SU fuel pump should last a very long way. In my first car
with the SU AUF301 (as in many A-H's 3000) it lasted at least 160.000mls
or 8 years (1977-1985) in my daily driver Jensen-Healey. Never even
touched the pump. After the car was laid up it was still started
regularly every year without trouble until the intervals became larger
and larger and about 5 years ago it failed. As my present Jensen-Healey
did not have an original fuel pump, I took the one from my old car and
rebuild it. The only thing wrong were the points. They had electrolytic
corrosion big time. Cleaning and polishing the points (2000 grid) and a
dusting of talcum powder between the three layers of the old fashioned
diaphragm to make it supple again, had it up and running in my new J-H
until this day, another 35.000mls. The trick is to set them up properly.
All explained in the SU instructions. Very easy.  It is also imperative
that the car is used on a regular basis.

These pumps are very easy to rebuild. It only takes less than an hour.
Usually no new parts, apart from a gasket, are needed as long as you
leave the valves and its seals plus air chambers alone. These usually do
not need any attention. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Check by
blowing/sucking into the in/outlet if there is any leakage (make sure
there is absolutely no fuel in the pump, inhaling fuel can be lethal).
In some instances the points can be worn beyond repair and they have to
be replaced, but even new points need to be cleaned, polished and set up
properly (0,9mm top blade, 2,3mm lower bridge).

Fit the pomp body and the coil body together with the vent hole of the
cap pointing upwards. Fit the pump in the proper orientation in the car
(indicated on the body).

Failing points could cause the pump to run erratic leading to fuel
starvation. Not a very common situation.

An SU pump incl. the points will nearly last you for ever, but it needs
maintenance. Every year clean the points wit a bit of double folded 2000
grid wet and dry and seal the cap with friction tape.

Main thing is these pumps need to be exercised regularly. Failing to do
so will cause them to fail.

Most will be fitted with a capacitor, a cilindrical yellow/gray part
fitted between earth and the spring blade with points. It works OK and
it makes the pump dual polarity. Later pumps have a diode fitted between
the power terminal and the points, this makes the pump polarity
sensitive, turning around the diode will change the polarity. I always
fit a transil, a sort of bidirectional zener diode, which make the pump
dual polarity as well and limits the maximum voltage to prevent
sparking. I often leave the capacitor in place as well.

Kees Oudesluijs