[Healeys] SU Fuel pump points

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon May 25 10:29:33 MDT 2020

There is no definitive answer. Sitting on the shelf, the points on a
pump can oxidize and the pump may not work 'off-the-shelf' without a
points cleaning (same for a car that sits too long). Note the points'
throw-over mechanism, set up properly, is designed to 'wipe' the points
with every cycle. Norman Nock said the pump would be removed and the
points cleaned as part of normal dealer maintenance, at around 10K miles
IIRC.

At one time, at least, there were aftermarket points sold--maybe before
SU Burlen got back in the business--that came in a generic white box and
were made in one of the Chinas; quality was as expected (i.e.
non-existent). I had a set fail in a couple hundred miles. I discussed
this with the late Dave DuBois, who had a post-retirement avocation of
pump restorer, favoring various electronic mechanisms, and he confirmed
this theory. Those points looked to me to be made of silver, instead of
tungsten, which is a dull gray color and, I think, may be more expensive
than silver, and the points were pitted after a few miles. Dave designed
the original, power transistor-based mod, but switched to a
photo-breaker mechanism later; results vary (ironically, perhaps, the
transistor-based mod didn't send enough current through the points to
clean them). Some have allegedly had points last for decades and tens of
thousands of miles, and some now swear by TVS diodes (I didn't have much
luck with them). Like any points set, the points can stick to each
other, which is sometimes remedied by banging on the pump or its mount
with a suitable blunt instrument (fists, hammers, etc.).

So, the answer is 'it depends.' I have had sets last several
years--15-20K miles--and I've had various failures at points between
with pretty much every alternative switching mechanism. As aggravating
as the SU pumps can be, I've found engine-driven pumps to be even more
pernicious, since filters and float bowls dry out and must be refilled
by cranking the engine if the car has sat too long. In the case of my
dad's '55 T-bird it's a crap shoot between the engine starting and the
6V battery being complete drained; worst case I have to resort to
starter fluid.

Bob