[Healeys] Overdrive non return valve Question

jpaynepbr at cox.net jpaynepbr at cox.net
Sat May 23 18:35:51 MDT 2020

So I pressure tested the OD at the operating valve plug - 370 PSI at 1,000
RPM in 4th.   Drops to about 340 PSI when I attempt to engage the OD. OD did
not engage.

This is with the back end on jack stands (not the recalled ones!), so it is
under no load.

Held 150 PSI for about 20 minutes after being shut off and then took about 2
hours to drop below 100 PSI.  At least I now have a better understanding of
why these things leak so badly.  Who in their right mind would design
something to hold that sort of residual oil pressure?

Based on all the reading, pressure is too low, but nothing appears way off?

I'm using the Team.Net Tech site.
http://www.team.net/www/healey/tech/big_hly/od/delborder_od.html

Next step is to check the non return valve spring.

 Question, why would I take it to a machinist to add .084" to the head of
the little plunger instead of just putting a washer on the back side of the
head of the plunger?

If the stem length/ insertion length into spring is that important, couldn't
I could add length to that at home with my mig welder and file it so that
the spring moves freely and doesn't hang up?

>From the team.net site :

psi, but for proper operation, the pressure should be at 470 to 490 psi.

Now, finally... the OD low oil pressure cause and fix. A fatigued spring in
the non-return valve portion of the OD (see Fig. 6.19). What? Is that it?
You must be kidding - I waited two months for this? Yes, it does seem sort
of anti-climactic, but this spring can cause major frustration. Springs are
like people - as they age, they get shorter and weaker. As you can see in
Fig. 6.19, the spring pushes against a ball and plunger. The purpose of this
spring is to allow the ball to lift from its seat at each power stroke of
the OD pump, allowing oil to flow into the pressurized accumulating chamber,