[Healeys] Distributor to spark plug lead continuity

Linwood Rose linwoodrose at mac.com
Thu May 21 08:55:56 MDT 2020

Hi guys,
Educate me. When doing some preventative maintenance, I pulled a spark plug lead out of the radiator cap (using a 123 distributor) the cable pulled away from the terminal - not a particularly unusual outcome. Got a new 90 degree terminal and crimped it on to the cable (Pertronix cable) and before I put the boot on the end of the cable I thought I would check the continuity. It barely dropped below 1.

So then I checked a brand new, never used, cable made-up by AH Spares. As shown in the image below when the sensors are attached to each end of the cable I get a reading of .792 which is not sufficient to even sound the beeper on the multimeter device. I suppose there are degrees of continuity (not just on/off) but I guess I expected the alarm to sound and the reading to drop to near zero.

Could someone interpret these findings for me?

Thanks, as always.

Lin