[Healeys] Blanking Plate - Water Gallery - but wait, there's more

Mark Donaldson ardmorebusiness at xtra.co.nz
Sun May 3 22:43:32 MDT 2020

Something for the originality and concours folk  . . .

Recently I was cleaning up and detailing my spare 100 BN1 engine – 1B 221589M

Although my Hundred is a June 1956 BN2 it has been a reliable donor on several occasions.

Although I’ve had an aluminium alloy blanking plate on the shelf for many years I decided to remove the plate off the spare and give it a clean-up.

To the best of my knowledge this is the first time it has ever been removed – and I’ve owned this engine since 1975.

To my surprise, it is cast iron, and in good shape.

Like the alloy one it has the part number cast inside, but also with the number 150 faintly stamped below the part number.

The alloy one has the maker’s name inside a diamond device – BIRMAL, who made high-quality castings for the auto industry and aviation.

We know them mainly as the manufacturer of Birmabright, noted for its resistance to corrosion.

Cheers

Mark Donaldson