[Healeys] British car fasteners

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Jun 1 10:04:25 MDT 2020

As an aside, there's a WWII story--true AFAIK--about Packard building
the (fantastic) Merlin engine under license from RR. The Packard
engineers where aghast to find that the Merlin used over 400 different
fasteners; they re-engineered the engine to use about 100 (or less).

Another tale I heard once was about an American Air Force team doing a
flying exhibition in England with F-86 Sabres. One of the inspection
panels came loose, and one of the ground crew casually walked out,
closed it and fastened a quarter-turn screw with a screwdriver. The Brit
military personnel in attendance were astounded; for their planes, only
a crew chief could tackle such a job, required re-fitting and
re-attaching several pieces of skin, several different fasteners, and a
ream of paperwork.

Bob