[Healeys] Steering Box Questions

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Sat Jan 25 14:12:45 MST 2020

I took someone’s advice and bought a John Deere grease gun and a couple of tubes of their “Cornhead Grease”. One tube will probably be enough…..

The grease gun has a one-handed pistol grip pump action and a long flexible tube/nozzle.  You can get it right up to or into the steering box. I forget. Decent item and I needed a modern grease gun anyhow.

The grease is, they do say, “Specially formulated not to leak from the corn head gearcase or drain from the gears during idle periods”. Followed by a load of guff with lots of long words. Personally, I don’t have a clue as to what a “corn head” is though it sounds a bit like Bart Simpson. However, I sort of recall one of our experts saying that it’s designed application was perfect for our steering boxes.

Works for me,

Simon