[Healeys] Curved/quiet or Straight/efficent

Patrick & Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Fri Jan 24 21:04:07 MST 2020

Hello Harold

Thanks for your input.

I know that at higher speeds an electric fan becomes superfluous, however my initial question did not concern the cooling of an Austin-Healey, but that of a Healey.

Be that as it may, the cooling system of a Healey is I believe more efficient than that of an Austin-Healey, especially that of a six-cylinder. As an aside it’s interesting to look at the BMC part number for a radiator for a six-cylinder Austin-Healey. There was no change in the part number whether it was for a 100/6 engine producing 102bhp right through to the BJ8 producing 141bhp. The only thing that was different was the radiator pressure cap that gradually increased with the corresponding increase in bhp.

In other words BMC engineers really didn’t give much consideration to an improvement in engine cooling especially for warmer climates, fan blades excepted.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn