[Healeys] Wheels/Tires

Max Byers sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Jan 6 06:58:28 MST 2020

I am not a metallurgist, but I am a retired aircraft structural engineer and I played one at work for 30 years.   What was stated about hydrogen embrittlement of high-strength steel during chrome plating is true.  The effects are mitigated by proper heat treatment after plating.   Although I haven’t done any analysis of broken spokes, my empirical experience with stainless spokes has been that one  broken spoke has no detectible reduction in the performance of the wheel, but more than one can produce vibration if they happen to be close to each other.   One broken spoke will result in additional loading of adjacent spokes, eventually resulting in their failure .  The vibration is most likely from the deformation of the wheel in the absence of the spokes.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large