[Healeys] Wheels/Tires

Mirek Sharp m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 4 08:52:06 MST 2020

My experience with 60 spoke wheels is the opposite to Skip's.  I have a '59 BT7 which I have owned since 1974, and drove on the original 48 spoke wheels until 13 years ago.  In that time I broke only one spoke on a rear wheel.  When I had the body re-done in 2006 I decided to replace the wheels with consideration for metal fatigue in the original ones.  I replaced them with Dunlop style 60 spoke wheels supplied by Bob Yule (who as always, provided exceptional service).  These look much nicer in my opinion than the 72 spoke wheels, which seem to crowded for my taste (I think the 48 spoke wheels look nicest, but compromised for the added strength).  I feel the additional strength of the 72 spoke wheel is overkill and unless you are really driving the blazes out of it or have way-oversized tires mounted, are unnecessary.  My wheels are shod with correctly-sized Vredestein Sprints.  The ride and handling is perfect.  My car is a well-maintained driver, not concours, and has  always been maintained as an original car.  That's my two cents, but as Skip said, it’s a personal choice.
Best, Mirek