[Healeys] Wheels/Tires

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jan 3 23:10:26 MST 2020

Last I checked--a few years ago--Dayton didn't offer 5.5" rims (5" or 6"
only).  I have Dayton 72-spoke 6" rims on my BJ8, with Vredestein
185/70HR-15 tires (I'm on my third or fourth set).  The wheels/rims
stick out more than I like--I think 5.5" would be better--and the rear
tires rub against the rear rebound block bolts in very hard cornering.
But handling and grip are very good, even in the wet.    When I bought
them, nearly 30 years ago, Dayton quality was considered much superior
to Dunlops, which were made in India at that time.  There's another
brand available now--'MWS' or similar--and I think they may be
contemporary versions of the Dunlops.  Best tires I ever had were
Yokohama A321s, but they haven't been available in a couple decades.

Shop around, I think you can beat Moss on price.  There's a 'British
Wire Wheel' company, but I don't think they're related to the outfit
Bruce Erfer sold long ago.

Bob