[Healeys] A Christmas Story

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Sun Dec 27 15:42:24 MST 2020

Bill-the adjustable steering was used on the early 100s including your
car 34 bodies from mine. It used a chrome trafficator lever. From
149930 the non-adjustable unit was installed and it used the black
"birds beak" (witch's nose) lever. The facia was also modified to have
a smaller opening for the now skinny steering shaft (for looks only)
and the seat pans now had sliding adjusters rather then bolted to the
floor. This carried thru to the 100-6 era. Later the adjustable unit
was brought back and continued on to the last BJ8 produced (using the
same parts as the early 100).
I'm not sure if my car originally came with chrome or black lever but
to be concours correct I changed it to the chrome item. During the
hurried rush to get the first 100s out the door the factory would use
any available part on the shelf. Since the trafficator was an involved
unit, they would have to be shipped in complete, and ready to go onto
cars on the track at Longbridge.
As Roland asked, is that the last of items I would want to change to
make the car correct? This was one of the items. There are about 75
various differences between the early BN1 and the later BN1s.It would
be difficult to get one of these cars 100% correct.
Glad you enjoyed my Christmas story...Happy New Year to all. Hank