[Healeys] Whitworth vs UNC

Curtis Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 14:48:12 MST 2020

The bolt is 5/16" BSW!   Don't let anyone tell you different.

Even my 45K original mile '60 Bugeye has its original  5/16" BSW bolt in
the generator front plate.  The problem arises since a 5/16" UNC bolt has
the same tpi (threads per inch) as the 5/16" BSW bolt.  The issue is that
UNC has a thread pitch angle of 60° and Whitworth by definition is 55°.
The wrong bolt will never torque properly and will eventually wear the
aluminum generator front plate.

Cheers,

Curt