[Healeys] Replacing the starter

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Fri Dec 18 13:47:59 MST 2020

Good news, the starter is rebuilt and back on the car. When I removed
it I had the brake booster out for rebuilding, so the starter came out
the bottom. With the booster returned to its original position, the
starter now has to go in from the top. With the oil filter mounting
out, and the plastic distributor cap out of the way, if feeds in
pinion up, very nicely...then as mentioned previously, spend some more
quality time fixing the two 9/16" bolts, lock washers and nuts. Upon
returning the oil filter unit to the car, charge it half full of new
oil and a new filter and change the engine oil if necessary. That's
done.
At Kees suggestion, I then removed the generator and checked the
brushes for wear. This item was OK and in good condition after almost
72K miles. Perry, hold onto those spare units-there is a need for
armatures. Hank