[Healeys] Transmission / Overdrive or Clutch slippage

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Aug 9 22:38:31 MDT 2020

This is pretty bizarre. I'm not sure I'm following the symptoms and
attempted remedies, but if we assume you clutch isn't
slipping--shouldn't be after two rebuilds--then the 'slipping' could be
the cone clutch in the overdrive. When the OD is not engaged--i.e. the
switch isn't 'on'--the cone clutch is held locked together by 8 (IIRC)
very strong springs and the OD acts for all intents and purposes as a
solid shaft. Like any clutch, the cone clutch can wear out and slip;
this is the only thing that possibly fits the symptoms if I'm
understanding them correctly.

Bob