[Healeys] Oil Additives

Mirek Sharp m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 26 10:43:25 MDT 2020

I agree with Roger on the use of VR-1 sans additives.  I have been using 20W50 Valvoline VR-1 in my old Brit motorcycles and my BT7 for well over 20 years (around when the ZDDP issues arose and I was doing a fair bit of motorcycle engine building) and have had no issues with it.  My general feeling is that the oil companies do a lot of research into the formulation of their products and there is a wide array of product to choose from.  It is more a matter of selecting a product from that wide array that works for your vehicle, not playing alchemy by making up custom mixes.  In my opinion mixing oil products is akin to mixing medications; you really don’t know what reactions are going on.  We rely on pharmacists to keep us on the straight and narrow with our meds, I think we should rely on the oil companies to do likewise with our lubricants.

Just my isolated opinion, Cheers, Mirek