[Healeys] Buying Parts from the U.K.

Robert Begani rfbegani at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 03:52:05 MDT 2019

Returning to the subject, after reading the comments from the Group, and
needing a set of tires for my BJ8, getting quotes from Coker and others, I
decided to buy from Longstone.  Same experience as others, I bought a set of
4 Michelins  180 HR 15 XAS and the delivery was in 5 days.  I had delayed
the order a few days so they would not arrive until I got to our Florida
home so I could pick them up.  Unfortunately, my wife went to the PO to pick
up our mail on hold and was surprised to have a platform truck wheeled out
with tires on it.  Fortunately, they were easily rolled into the CRV and she
was able to roll them into the garage.  She was not a happy camper.  I look
forward to getting new threads on the BJ8 in the coming weeks.

However, the use of Her Majesty's Post and the inexpensive air rates may no
longer be available in the future because the Trump Administration demanded
the International Postal Union to revise the system of charging for handling
overseas postal deliveries by the member states.  The rates were hardly
changed over many years so that the USA Postal service was paying millions
of dollars to deliver packages from China each year due to ecommerce.  The
recent agreement in Switzerland was to allow the USA to raise their rates
beginning in 2020 each year for the next 5 years.  The first country to be
charged higher rates will be China, obviously.  The US will not increase
rates for the less than developed countries.  Other countries will be
allowed to increase their rates accordingly.  So maybe the cost of buying
and delivery of parts via airpost from the U.K. will increase in the coming
years. .  See article in NYTimes: https://tinyurl.com/y3qpywc2

Regards,

Bob Begani

67' BJ8