[Healeys] high oil consumption

jim ab7vf at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 17 11:08:23 MDT 2019

 eye-ball the tail pipe ....
jim

    On Tuesday, September 17, 2019, 2:33:44 PM UTC, Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs at chello.nl> wrote:

I would check the crankcase ventilation first. Dismantle and see if it is blocked or dirty. Clean or renew and refit.

On some of the cars there is a diaphragm in the crankcase ventilation system fitted between valve cover and inlet manifold under a spring loaded disc that you can remove. Perhaps the diaphragm is split.

Also check the accuracy of the dipstick. If an engine is overfilled with oil it will often consume a fair bit of oil until the oil level is normal.

If the car emits blue smoke continuously when accelerating hard: worn rings/pistons/bores.

If the car emits blue smoke momentarily when accelerating after decelerating on the engine: worn valve guides or seals.

Kees Oudesluijs