[Healeys] high oil consumption

Kees Oudesluijs coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Sep 17 08:33:31 MDT 2019

I would check the crankcase ventilation first. Dismantle and see if it
is blocked or dirty. Clean or renew and refit.

On some of the cars there is a diaphragm in the crankcase ventilation
system fitted between valve cover and inlet manifold under a spring
loaded disc that you can remove. Perhaps the diaphragm is split.

Also check the accuracy of the dipstick. If an engine is overfilled with
oil it will often consume a fair bit of oil until the oil level is normal.

If the car emits blue smoke continuously when accelerating hard: worn
rings/pistons/bores.

If the car emits blue smoke momentarily when accelerating after
decelerating on the engine: worn valve guides or seals.

Kees Oudesluijs