[Healeys] Radiator Shovel, continued

HealeyRick healeyrik at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 19:23:51 MDT 2019

Having a V8 Healey, I'm no stranger to solving cooling problems and have
read tons of stuff from fan makers, hot rod builders, race car folks, etc.
etc.  With the type of fan Steve has pictured, they recommend mounting it
directly against the radiator core with no space in between the fan frame
and the core.  Kees is correct in that air will escape from the space left
between the fan and radiator.  It probably won't make it totally
ineffective, just reduce how well it works which would explain why Steve
could get a positive result from fitting the electric fan but possibly not
the best result.  Top tip.  Always check the way your fan is working after
installation.  Many can be adapted to be pushers or pullers depending on
how the fan is mounted to the motor and the direction the motor turns can
be changed by the way the two wires are hooked up to the motor.  After
spending a day installing my BFF, I took out the Nasty Boy to revel in the
cooling improvements I had made.  The temp gauge zoomed right up.  Limped
home and holding a piece of tissue paper in front of the grille with the
fan running I noticed it was blowing away from the grille instead of being
sucked in.  After swapping the fan blade around, it cooled much better.

Rick Neville.