[Healeys] Steering wheel repair

sentenac.rw at gmail.com sentenac.rw at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 23:30:13 MDT 2019

It is a long and exacting job.  I only did it because replacement
Healey Hundred steering wheels are not available.

I used PC-7 Epoxy.  That's the easy part.  First you have to grind
open every crack down to the metal rod in the center of each part of
the wheel.  Clean up any rust you find.  You'll give your Dremel tool
a workout.

Then you fill the cracks and sand or file to contour. Getting epoxy to
fill in where the plastic has chipped away from the wheel spokes is a
chore.  Getting it to look right is a bigger chore.  Probably take a
few applications to get it right.  When the surface is perfect you
spray on a couple of coats of epoxy primer, followed by sandable
primer, Sanding, followed by automotive hardened urethane paint (maybe
base coat clear coat will work, I didn't do that).

The result looks great and hasn't cracked again in two years.

-Roland
BN1 #724 now on the road