[Healeys] Is a vernier cam wheel worth the money and trouble?

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat May 18 10:41:50 MDT 2019

When I got my BJ8's engine rebuilt a couple years ago, I bought a DWR1
cam for it ('slightly better than stock' according to DWM). Lister Chris
Dimmock was kind enough to send me one of the adjustable timing sets
that his local (to Australia) club was offering:

According to my engine builder, he needed to 'adjust' the timing by
about 4deg in order to get the proper lift(s) spec'd for the DWR1 cam
(no dyno'ing or road tests involved).  I was surprised that the cam was
that far 'off,' meaning if you installed a fixed timing set you might
have degraded performance.  I have no reason to doubt the builder, he is
extremely meticulous and diligent (and happens to be a Kiwi and licensed
airplane mechanic).

Bob