[Healeys] amazing cars

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu May 9 12:01:34 MDT 2019

The BJ8 has a VIN plate that is rectangular, whereas for such a late car I would expect it to have rounded ends.  My conclusion is that the VIN plate is not original, but a reproduction.

>From photos of the engine serial number plate in an earlier ad, I can tell that the engine plate is also a reproduction -- the letters and numbers are stamped into the plate from above, rather than from below as original.  That means that there is no way at all that anyone can be sure the engine is still original to that car.

The car is stated to have been restored by Tom Rocke.  For what it's worth, I've seen a whole lot of cars from well-known restorers and offered for sky-high amounts where their identity and integrity are questionable, even though they may be beautiful.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large