[Healeys] Towing a Healey Flat

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 07:39:44 MDT 2019

I have a collapsible tow bar similar to that pictured.  I modified it by
cutting off the ends and having suitable solid round stock welded onto the
inner faces which fit into tow-eyes which bolt onto the longitudinal frame
rails.
The car tows and tracks perfectly (though one cannot back up while
attached).

I have a Smitty's five-speed conversion and though I am not 100% certain I
have a number of opinions off of Toyota forums saying that there is
sufficient splash-lubrication supplied from the output shaft's rotation to
avoid internal damage.  Nevertheless on the few occasions I have towed more
than short distances I have, every 50 miles or so, stopped and run the
engine for a while to get the input shaft spinning to provide lubrication.
So far so good.

Best--Michael Oritt