[Healeys] Subject: Re: alum radiator swap

Albert Seminatore alsemus1 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 18:46:50 MDT 2019

Thought I'd share my experience with the alum radiator.
First I had the OEM radiator boiled cleaned etc..  Then I put in a flex
fan.  Finally a 160 degree F thermostat.
    Results: Helped a bit but in the summer and in the desert the temp went
to almost 190F.

Talked to someone who had an alum. in his MGTD.  Said it gave him 20%
increase in cooling.  So being foolish I bought one.
    Results:  Absolutely NO change.  Well it lightened my pocket book.

Recently talked to a man who made a shroud for his healey and claimed it
made a big difference alng with his Texas Fan (6 bladed).
     Results:  I started to make the shroud BUT.  The fan is not centered
on the radiator.   The fan is 1 inch to the left of the radiator.  So the
plans for a shroud isn't going to work as is.

      Questions:  Is the motor incorrectly mounted causing the offset?
                        If I put in an electric fan is it best to remove
the flex fan completely?
                        Would a four core radiator be of any help?
                        Should I ignore my fear and let the temp go to 190F
without a worry?
I live in the desert and have to go over a 5000 foot mountain to get to Las
Vegas.
Thanks..............    Al

--
Albert Seminatore