[Healeys] Nothing Goes Right

Perry healeyguy at aol.com
Mon Jul 1 19:47:01 MDT 2019

Richard / Listers
The earlier factory service manual states the following regarding tightening the hub nut:

“Tighten up the nut until the hub is fully home, and then secure by tapping down the lock washer on one of the flats of the nut.”

So it would appear the intent is to have no detectable float in the hub (if there is real detectable float of the hub on the stub there is a bigger problem since you need a puller to pull the hub off) but not torque the nut to any more than snug. Maybe we would not need those amazing “new” tools if things were done like the factory recommended.  The Hub lock washer is the key to hold things in place.

Not saying that things don’t go south quickly when parts are old or worn or that folks have not suffered loss because a bent piece of sheet steel (lock washer) failed but the factory that built these cars for 14 years probably envisioned and experienced the possibilities including having regular inspection and maintenance.
Perry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10