[Healeys] electric radiator fan

Kees Oudesluijs coudesluijs at chello.nl
Thu Jan 24 10:16:18 MST 2019

I have always done so with my cars if they had a fixed fan. I just
removed it and fitted a proper modern multi-blade fan with ring around
the blades as near the radiator as possible. I have always fitted the
thermo switch in the top radiator tank or top hose. I used 22mm thread
for the switch as there are thousnads of variations available. The type
of switch depends largely on the thermostat you have in the car and the
pressure  or coolant you have in the cooling system.

E.g. if you have an 86°C thermostat you would need a cutting out temp of
the thermoswitch of about 92°C. If you run a 7psi cooling system with
proper coolant you would need a cutting in temp. of around 100°C, the
lower the pressure the lower the cutting in temp.

You would also need to fit an overflow reservoir and make sure the
rad.cap is fully airtight.

If you have an 82°C thermostat the cutting out temperatuire can be
choosen of about 88°C.

Always get the cutting out temp. of the thermoswitch about 5-6°C over
the opening temp. of the thermostat.

If you fit the thermoswitch in the bottom tank of the radiator the above
does not apply.

Kees Oudesluijs