[Healeys] Over heating Healey's

Robert Begani rfbegani at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 14:29:56 MST 2019

During the past 3 weeks since the rebuilt engine started, I have been
running the engine for 20 min at a time.  The temp would slowly climb to
almost 200 degrees, so I would shut it off. Finally, I got help from my
friend wiring the pusher radiator fan I installed with the radiator. We
wired the fan to the altenator with a relay and  fused the toggle switch to
the spare on the fuse block on the engine firewall.  Started the engine and
ran it for 30 min at mostly idle with a few min up to 3500.  It held a
constant 180 degrees. It is currently 80 Degrees in SW Florida and your skin
will burn if you are in the sun.  That should give anyone the answer "how to
modify my Healey to be able to drive it in hot temperatures and in traffic"
My engine before rebuild would only overheat in hot summer weather in
Chicago or in Florida when driving in Stop and Go Traffic or under 40 mph.
With the new shovel in front of the radiator directing air into the
radiator, I expect that I do not have to turn on the fan at lower speeds
that 40 mph.  Will know more as soon as I can get the car off the jack
stands.

Bob Begani

67 BJ8