[Healeys] Fuel gauge damper query

Michael Salter michael.salter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 20:42:17 MST 2019

Hi Simon,
The statement "I believe that any energy storage device near petrol vapour
is extremely dangerous." is probably quite true but whether the capacitor
is connected at the gauge or the sender unit does not, IMHO, make an iota
of difference.
The discharge from the capacitor would travel from the gauge to the tank in
about 0.00000001 of a millisecond and it's doubtful that it would have
diminished very much during the journey. Having seen the petrol tank of an
upright Ford Prefect explode in spectacular fashion about 45 years ago I
can assure you that I'm really nervous about this type of modification.
I think this
<http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/2015/09/06/smiths-and-jaegar-fuel-gauge-solution/>
is probably a lot safer but if I was to be doing another I might even use a
light weight braided wire rather than the coiled brass.