[Healeys] 100/4 Cockpit Surround

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Sat Dec 28 21:38:21 MST 2019

A local firm in Albuquerque anodized some new pieces for me, but the results were so bad I had the anodize removed and just polished them. I figure at this point in its life the old girl may appreciate some additional pampering in the form of periodically polishing the alloy trim.

I don't know if the problem was in the anodizing process, the new alloy materials or my preparation work. They no longer do the process called "bright anodizing" so in order to get decent result you need to polish the parts to a very high gloss and then have it "clear anodized". Mine came out kind of grayish with dark streaks running through it. Again these were new pieces from Moss.

For now I can get by with some aluminum polish and elbow grease applied a few times a year. As a bonus it is easy to eliminate new scratches by working them out with emery cloth and re-polishing them. Can't do that with an anodized layer.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554