[Healeys] Four cylinder woes

Kees Oudesluijs coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sat Aug 10 15:39:36 MDT 2019

This sounds like a carburettor problem (wrong needles/jets/springs?)
where the car is running very lean between 2500 and 3200rpm. Check if
there are any vacuum leaks.

Check the advance curve of the distributor, may be a spring from one or
both of the bob weights is loose/broken/missing.

Check the timing of the cam shaft.

Mixture, ignition and cam shaft settings can be very different from the
original because of the changes in the engine. It should really be set
up on a rolling road.

Op 10-8-2019 om 23:03 schreef Steven Kingsbury via Healeys:
> To start off, my car, an early BN1, #598 was burned up in the Paradise
> fire and I just bought another BN1 to replace it. The new car has been
> hot rodded up a bit. Cam, bigger carbs and different pistons so it has
> a way different compression ratio and has been in this configuration
> for over ten years I believe. Was told it runs like the wind and came
> from a reliable and trust worthy person. Well I'm having problems with
> the car. Up to 2500 RPM, it runs great! When I can get it up to 3200
> RPM it runs great again, it's the 2500 to 3200 range where I'm having
> problems.
>    It feels like it's starving for fuel, or it has too much fuel, it
> hesitates, feels like it's not running on all cylinders, and generally
> like a bucking bronco, but then at 3200 or so, she smooths right out
> and flies!
>    I was told the carbs were set up a little rich. I leaned them out
> one flat at a time and no difference until they got too lean and
> wouldn't run well at all. So I took them back to original setting
> positions.
>    I've checked all gaps, they're all right. Pulled plugs when getting
> home and they are all fine, a little brown and all even looking. New
> condenser, new coil, changed to new plugs, I have not checked the
> timing yet, but with the way it runs below 2500 and above 3000, it
> seems to be just fine.
>    I am getting the car up in the air Monday as I have new tires to
> replace the old ones and will do a static timing check at that time.
> My old four cylinder was a breeze to set up and ran smooth through all
> revs. What am I missing with an engine set up like an M? Why would
> things go south between 2500 and 3000 and run fine below and above?
>    All suggestions are welcome and I do have a new fuel pump on order,
> so fire away. I've been doing things one step at a time to not
> introduce new problems, but this is the only problem that is consistent.
>    Thanks,
> Steven Kingsbury

---
Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
http://www.avg.com