[Healeys] Emergency brake handle

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE YNOTINK at msn.com
Fri Aug 9 23:01:04 MDT 2019

To Mike McClean and others interested in this topic: I just installed my emergency brake handle after having it out of the car to install upholstery. I was having a lot of trouble because the cable seemed to be two short and I couldn't get it to line up with the index on the handle. Then I remembered something I read in one of the manuals long ago (ah yes, memories...)

Setting the adjustment of the cable is dependent on the adjustment of the rear brake shoes. I removed the rear wheels and backed off the adjustment so that there was slack in the e-brake cable and at that point I was easily able to line up and install the brake handle. Once the handle  was installed I adjusted the rear brakes to spec and found the e=brake locks up on the sixth detent.

If you need extra length in the cable you can probably obtain it by this method.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554