[Healeys] Water pump

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 08:56:21 MDT 2019

Following last week's removal of the water pump that was throwing a nasty
mixture of grease and coolant around the engine compartment I am in the
process of reassembling things with a rebuilt water pump obtained from
Healey Surgeons.

The pump I am installing is tapped for a zerk fitting, but i have seen some
pumps where there is no tapped/drilled hole for a grease nipple, and i have
also read opinions about the wisdom of NOT lubing the pump with grease.
Can anyone shed light here?

Also i have read/heard recommendations to run the pump dry--without
coolant--for some period of time in order to promote quicker bedding in of
seal or something along those lines. What is the groups' experience/wisdom
on this?

Best--Michael Oritt