[Healeys] Jamaican

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Wed Aug 7 16:12:39 MDT 2019

I would guess that the BN4 designation for the early 6 cylinder cars was already set while they were still working out the details of design.

BN was used to designate two seat roadsters and BT to designate four seaters, but since all of the paperwork had already been done using the BN designation by the time the left hand discovered the right hand had added two more seats they decided to make an exception.

The other way to look at it is to think that Austins didn't take the four seat configuration very seriously and that it was only a sales ploy not worthy of a new designation, both notions have some shred of plausibility.

If we are confused by all of this after the fact I think we should be aware that Austin's bureaucracy could have been equally confused while it was occurring.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554