[Healeys] Adjusting generator belt

goldengt goldengt at cal.net
Sun Sep 30 08:50:08 MDT 2018

On my Jensen,  I use a belt pulley jack. It works well. I am sure it would work on the Bj8. Search Amazon or McMaster Car.Ken Freese

<!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma",sans-serif;}
p.MsoNoSpacing, li.MsoNoSpacing, div.MsoNoSpacing
	{mso-style-priority:1;
	margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
	{mso-style-name:msonormal;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0cm;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0cm;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma",sans-serif;}
p.emailquote, li.emailquote, div.emailquote
	{mso-style-name:emailquote;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0cm;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:1.0pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	color:#002060;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;}
span.EmailStyle23
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
-->-------- Original message --------From: simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com Date: 9/30/18  2:47 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: 'BJ8Healeys' <sbyers at ec.rr.com>, healeys at autox.team.net Subject: Re: [Healeys] Adjusting generator belt
Agreed. I just use a bit of scrap wood…levered up a little and held in place while the bolts are tightened. The slidey bolt underneath seems to be a favourite to be forgotten.I downloaded this a couple of years ago:-“How to Adjust Alternator Belt Tension Without a Gauge. Proper belt tension is necessary to ensure the smooth operation and longevity of your belt-driven components. Too loose and the belt may slip or even be thrown off of the pulleys. Too tight and the belt will cause excessive wear on the shaft bearings of the components it is driving. There are several rules of thumb for checking the tension on a belt without using a belt tension gauge.Things Needed:-Straight edge (a carpenter's level is a good choice)RulerRatchet and socket set Step 1:Measure the distance from the centre of the alternator pulley shaft to the centre of another pulley that uses the same belt. This will probably be the water pump or the crankshaft.Step 2:Lay a straight edge -- like a carpenter’s level -- across the pulleys, over the belt.Step 3:Place the tip of a ruler