[Healeys] Reversing light wiring

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Fri Sep 21 03:59:19 MDT 2018

Hi,

I'm thinking about fitting a reversing light to my 3000.

I was hoping to have it switched by the selection of reverse gear.

At first I thought I could piggy back it off the gearbox overdrive switch,
but that seems like a non-runner for many reasons.

I keep emails to the list that interest me..for future reference. I came
across this,  the only one on the topic. "  (To Magnus Karlsson. 16th March
'99!!) :-

"Earlier on this month there was a flurry of messages on how to install a
reversing light switch to the centre shift gearbox.

While I do not have a centre shift box I am told it is quite simple to do.
As you sit in the car the overdrive inhibitor switch is located on the left
hand side of the remote control shift housing. All you do is to locate an
additional switch directly opposite on the remote control shift housing in
what is in effect a mirror image of what is already there. I am told it is
matter of drilling a hole into the housing, tapping the correct thread and
then installing in the switch.

I am also told that it is also possible to install a switch inside the bell
housing, around where the selector rods are, but I think that would be a
problem with the switch being way out of reach.

All this sounds very difficulty without a gearbox in front of me, but I
suspect that even a dummy like me could stumble through it.

Regards

Patrick Quinn

Sydney, Australia

Well, this dummy has thought about it and not got the solution. I'd mount
the second switch opposite the overdrive switch. But what about the wiring?
Does anyone have a diagram? There's some basic principle that I'm not
grasping..probably plain as a pikestaff once someone shows me.

Thanks,

Simon