[Healeys] Thermostats

Fred Wescoe fredwescoe at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 18:38:16 MDT 2018

Listers,

I have researched what I can of the archives and other sources and am still
puzzled.  I cannot find any real answers and direction on the question of
which thermostat I should use in my 66 BJ8.  Some answers indicate a
sleeved thermostat and others say no sleeve.  Some say a short sleeve and
others say only the long sleeve works.  Some answers indicate using a 160
degree thermostat while others propose 180 degrees and even 190 degrees.
Some even say the Moss sleeved thermostat does not work.

I am in North Carolina and drive the car most of the year.  Right now the
car has a non sleeved 190 degree thermostat.  The car starts and needs to
warm up, at idle, to almost full temp before it runs with no problems.
Otherwise it spits, coughs and has no power.  The car runs at about 190
degres except when I drive the mountains and of course stop and go traffic.

What is the consensus of thoughts as we approach colder weather?  And what
are the sources and manufacturer for a good thermostat?

Thanks for the help,

Fred
66BJ8